Monday, August 12, 2013

Classroom Management

     For the previous six years, I've used the basic "card system."  I've always had four cards- start on green, two below for misbehavior and one above to earn for "above and beyond" behavior.  Students could also earn their cards back for improving their behavior throughout the day.  Each year, students were familiar with this system because many had seen it in pre-K and others new about "the cards" from siblings.  Until this year, I had no thoughts about changing it.
      I've decided to use the clip chart system.  I've read several blog posts as well as the e-book linked in the previous sentence.  I felt like it was a small transition from the cards, but encompassed more of how I believe classroom management should work.  Everyone starts the day on "Ready to Learn" (or green) and has the opportunity to earn up to three spaces above.  Students could also move their clips down for misbehavior.  I also believe using clip charts will give me more opportunity to reward positive behavior, which my experience usually increases all classroom behavior!
      There are different types of clip charts out there, most in rainbow colors.  The traditional clip chart (as outlined in the e-book linked above) will start with red at the top as the highest honor and then gray at the bottom for contacting home.  I chose to start with pink at the top followed by purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and then red at the bottom.  I made my clip chart in Keynote (Mac's version of Powerpoint), so the pictures are not in the color order I listed above.





    What type of classroom management system do you use?  What do you like most about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment