Friday, August 23, 2013

First week= completed

     The first week is finally over!  I do not want it to sound as if it was not a good week- it was wonderful!  I am just so exhausted!!!  Last night and tonight will be the only nights I stay awake later than 8pm!
     As mentioned previously, my district decided to do a staggered start for kindergarten this year.  I am extremely grateful for this.  The intention was to have one half of the class come Tuesday/Thursday and the other half come Wednesday/Friday.  However, I have a handful of withdrawals, additions and changes to the schedule that two days I had 15 and then other two I had 9 students.  It really did work out ok though!  I was grateful to just have less than 25 (my originally scheduled class) for the first week.
     The first day I had not intended on introducing my clip chart, but quickly re-evaluated when I saw the potential to increase positive behaviors.  The first day first week or more, kinders often resemble preschoolers.  They do not know how to line up, raise their hand (AND wait to be called on to speak) or how to wait their turn.  I understand this and remember this each year, but it's always hard to get used to after remembering where my kinders last year finished.
     Most students were completely motivated by "moving their clips up"!  I was excited by this.  Simply mentioning "Jane, move your clip to blue- I love how you are sitting criss-cross with your hands in your lap!" (Jane is a pseudonym), encouraged and excited other students to do the same!  Moving clips down the first day did not happen.  Even if it took 10 reminders, they did not move their clips down- they're still little babes, learning the ropes.  My goal of introducing the clip chart on the first day- although last minute- was to encourage positive behavior.
     Overall, I was super impressed with their ability to sustain attention to tasks and interest in following directions!  I did observe some difficulty with a few to follow 2+ verbal directions at one time, so I stayed late tonight laminating visual cue directions for those who had difficulty.  Personally, I am a visual learner so I completely understand being confused and forgetful concerning verbal directions!   
     Looking forward to next week- it's going to be a GREAT year!

No comments:

Post a Comment